CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 14, 2009

MSG and the Muslim World

I actually discovered MSG when I was living in Egypt. I thought they had invented it because it was such a popular ingredient in all their soups - especially in those "Maggi" cubes. However, when I started to feel ill every time I ate something with MSG I started to do some more research. Even before completing my studies in natural healing I had become aware of the harms of MSG.

It turns out that MSG is a harmful flavoring that causes different health problems for different people ranging from stomach aches, insomnia and headaches to more major problems like diabetes, heart problems and cancer. Because of its dangers Chinese restuarants were pressured to take it out of their foods about 8-10 years ago. What I have found offensive, since then, is that while Chinese restaurants have taken it out of their foods, places like Pizza Hut continue to add it to their sauces and many canned items include it in their sauces and soups. It is still used in many salad dressings and other food items here in America, and still used liberally in the Middle East.

What I have always had a hard time understanding, however, is how a predominately Muslim culture can continue to use a flavoring that is extracted from dried animal blood and decaying protein? The following description was provided by a student of the Islamic Healing Course (www.IslamicHealingCourse.com) As I was correcting assginments this morning it reminded me of MSG and the Muslim world and inspired me to post this reminder to the list:

MSG: Also can be named as hydrolyzed plant protein, natural flavor and Kmbu extract, autolyzed yeast, and yeast extract. The animal based MSG comes from animal blood or decaying protein. It has been linked to learning disorders in children and hyperactivity. Effects include headaches, nausea, diarrhea, mood changes, sleep problems, rash, sweating, and chest pain.

No comments: